Saturday 24 March 2012

Quinoa Quiche

So I have a confession. I completely messed up making quinoa the first few times. It was a sticky, mushy mess. Chris ate it with a smile, trying to convince me that he liked it (If you know about the "gravy incident", you know why) but I knew that it wasn't good. Third time must be a charm though, because that's when I finally got it right, and it came out light and fluffy like it should!



Look at those tasty little pearls of superfood. How could you not want to eat that??

So since then, we've come to love quinoa with many different foods and in many forms.,,, most recently in quiche form! When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it, and it certainly did not disappoint.

Starts with a few simple ingredients


Missing from this picture is ham. I didn't have any this time around. Turned out just as good, 
but if I had ham, I would have put it in. Quiche deserves a little ham, don't you think?

Choppy choppy, grate-y  grate-y

Throw it all in a bowl and add the eggs and egg whites

I always seem to make the quinoa right as I'm making the quiches. To prevent your eggs from scrambling, maybe cool off the quinoa like this before throwing it in with all the ingredients!

Then a quick mix, and in the muffin tin they go!

Little extra cheese. If you say you don't like cheese, you are probably lying. 
Or your name is Pam Loeppky. Either or.

Hello! Yes, you are gorgeous looking AND delicious!



Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats



Ingredients:


2 cups cooked quinoa (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup broccoli, chopped very small
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced ham (I didn't have any this time around)
2 Tablespoons parmesan or romano cheese plus extra for tops (I used fresh, but I'm sure you could use Kraft)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
salt & pepper



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. Liberally spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray and spoon mixture to the top of each cup. Take extra romano cheese and sprinkle on top of each cup. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges of the cups are golden brown. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the mini muffin tin.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment