Tuesday 28 August 2012

My husband took a weed whacker to the garden last night....

And I couldn't be happier about it!

Let me explain.

We are living in my Mom's house. The house I grew up in, actually. We LOVE this house. My Mom is being so gracious to let us live there for quite low rent while Chris is in school, and it quite simply the biggest blessing we could ever ask for. Included with this house is a sizable back yard with a very large garden. When I planted it last spring, only weeks before the wedding I remember feeling a little intimidated, but mostly excited for all the fresh veggies we would harvest.

What I didn't anticipate was the weeding.

Oh.... the weeding.

My mom taught me a lot growing up. She taught me how to cook and how to bake (even though she will tell you she doesn't very much like to do either) How to sew a button, how to knit, how to paint, how to clean a house (with very loud music).... she taught me a lot of great wife skills. One thing she did not teach me was how to garden. I don't recall any moments in my childhood or youth where I helped plant, weed or harvest. None of it. When I asked her why she just simply said that I had no interest.

So to say there was a bit of a learning curve would be an understatement. It was actually quite a shock when I discovered that not only is it a LOT of work, but I really don't enjoy it at all. This was a shock because I really wanted to like it. Have you ever experienced that? Wanting to want to do something, but realizing you just... don't want to? I've discovered that I'm a bit of a hippy these days, and the idea of growing all my own fine fresh organic veggies was so appealing to me. I totally want to be that girl- the one who gardens and makes super healthy meals sans pesticides. How cool. or should I say how hip?

This year I swore things would be different. I planted just as much in the garden as last year, but I was so sure that now that I knew what to expect, I would be better at it.

Oh boy was I ever wrong. It's true, I did know what to expect, and it was that knowledge of just how terrible the work would be that quite simply kept me from wanting to do it. Weeding is possibly my least favorite task I have ever come across. For me, it's mostly the mosquitos. I don't want to sound too whiney, but I'm actually allergic to mosquitos (or at least some strains) and about 50-75% of the bites I get turn into welts the diameter of a plum. They get hot to the touch, and are incredibly uncomfortable. Putting myself in a situation where I will almost undoubtedly get bitten makes this lady pretty dang grumpy. And so I put it off. Week after week I put it off.

This brings us to last night. I don't think Chris thought I was serious when I first requested he weed whack the whole garden, but after a little coercing he finally gave in. I told him to get rid of everything but the tomatoes. (No mercy!) Turns out he saved a bit more than that which I am glad for. What I am even more happy about it that there are NO MORE WEEDS. Somehow he managed to carefully go around the plants with the whacker, and then raked up all the wreckage. I can actually see dirt, and that my friends... is quite amazing.

Speaking of amazing, he then came inside and organized our storage room.. then cleaned both bathrooms and hung something on the wall in our bedroom that I have been waiting for for almost a month. Husband of the year award? I think so.

I wonder if my Mom would be mad if we laid down sod next year....



Like what you've read? You can follow me on Facebook, as well as subscribe by email (Top left of this page) so you never miss a post! 

Thanks for stopping by :)

~M  

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when the people you love know how to show you love in exactly the way you need it?

    ReplyDelete