Monday 24 June 2013

Gettin' Antsy

While I have always wanted to travel and see the world, I have never felt that strong of a pull towards it. I haven't been many places- aside from a trip to England and Scotland as a teenager, and a few all inclusives I've barely been out of the country. I have always had intentions of going places like Italy, or Australia, I've never sat down to "make a plan" Chris and I have talked about taking a year to live in Europe once he's done school. It's a nice dream, and it might even happen, but we haven't called a travel agent or anything. My travel dreams have lived on the back burner for many years.

Well, I don't know who turned the stove on, but the kettle is whistling, and I have to say folks. I gotta get outta here right meow.

Here's the thing. I have been a Christian for just over 4 years now, and missions has never really spoke to me. Going to build a house in Mexico or an overseas third world country has never really tugged at my heart strings. I love the people that do it, and I support them fully- both with prayer and financially, but it was never really "my thing." We have had many people come to our church and talk of places far away and the work that is being done there. Each time, I would sit there and be moved by their experiences, but still not crave the experience myself.

Then I had a friend that went to Cambodia, and when he got home and told us in great detail what he experienced I wanted to get on the next plane. Legit.

Isn't that normal?

And then I watched 3 documentaries that ruined my life. And by ruin, I mean they challenged me in ways I wasn't ready to be challenged. Or at least I didn't think I was ready. But it turns out my heart is VERY ready. All I want to do is take off to Africa. I just want to get on a plane and hit the ground running. I want to work in an orphanage, or build a house, or just pray for people. I want to tell people how loved they are by our Creator. I want to minister to them, and in turn be ministered to. See- the portions of the documentaries that were challenging was seeing these people that are living in the hardest of circumstances and yet their faith is white hot. I want to see what they see. I want to experience Jesus like they do.

Just typing this makes my heart race a little faster.

I need to go. I don't know where yet. I don't know when. All I know is that when I finally told Chris how serious I was about wanting to go, he told me to pack a bag. Then he reminded me that now (before babies) might be the best time to go. So.... It might happen folks. I would be lying if I said I hadn't done a little preliminary research. ;)

So, in closing, will you pray for me please? This is pretty terrifying, and I just because I want to go now doesn't mean that is what the Lord has in mind. I don't want to go anywhere without knowing it's where He is placing me. Thanks friends



Like what you've read? Aside from following this blog via Bloglovin (button below) you can follow me on Facebook, as well as subscribe by email (Top left of this page) so you never miss a post!
Follow on Bloglovin


Thanks for stopping by :)

~M

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you! My heart is in the same place. I can't contain it! I feel led to go to Africa too :) I have a few people who need some couples on missions teams there too if you'd like more info! But also-- have you ever considered YWAM? My husband and I are doing it (before we have babies!) It's a missionary school (bases all over the world) that teaches you to disciple to others and then send you on a 2 month long mission trip at the end of your 3-month training. Their website is ywam.org
    Hope this helps! And keep pursuing it! God didn't place this desire in your heart for no good reason! Keep us updated! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Thank you so much for your prayers! I have heard of YWAM- we have a few friends that are quite involved with them. I don't think it would be feasible for us though, as my husband is a student, and we barely make ends meat with my salary. The summer months (he only time possible to go would be when he's not in school) are when we take the opportunity to build up our savings by having him work like crazy! We need the extra money so we have something to draw from each month as my salary doesn't sustain our living month-to-month. It's a crazy system, but it works!

      I think if I do anything, sadly it will need to be without him, and will likely be a short term trip of 2-3 weeks. Keep praying for me- I still have not heard clearly from the Lord on this one, and refuse to do anything until I do!

      Delete