Friday 5 July 2013

Only The Lord Can Make Me Like Gardening

Remember when I wrote about planting my flower beds, and what a horrible experience that was? And how I actually hate gardening altogether? Well friends, I am shocked that I am typing this out, but it turns out that I don't actually hate the flower beds anymore. Actually, I have found myself enjoying taking care of them.

It's crazy, I know.

Just the other night I was waiting for my pork chops to marinate, and spent nearly an hour weeding before dinner.... and I actually liked it. As I was kneeling and pulling all the tiny little weeds that sprouted in the last week, I allowed myself to just be in that moment. I didn't feel rushed, or like I was just trying to get it done as quick as possible. The sun was hot on my back and keeping the mosquitos away. My gloves were wet from being left out in the rain the night before, and so I yanked each tiny weed out with my bare hands. I found myself liking the feeling of the dirt and enjoying how it felt under my fingernails.

Seriously. I can't make this stuff up. I don't know what happened.

I felt calm and at peace. It is the same feeling I get when I'm doing a deep cleaning of something really dirty. I love taking something that is really dirty, and seeing the end result of it being clean again. It's kind of like a mini redemption experience I suppose. The flower beds were covered in tiny bright green weeds, and I was looking forward to seeing my shrubs sitting in black dirt again.

As I sat there tending to the dirt, I felt close to God- I happily thought out a couple blog posts- this one and this previous one to be exact. I reveled in the quietness of my task, and chose to do it for the glory of the Lord, which did an even greater work in my heart; causing me to enjoy my task even more! If he was able to bring me joy through a task I have previously hated, then he deserves ALL the credit and all the glory. Only he can change a mind as stubborn as mine. Only he can do this work in my heart.

Nothing is done in my own strength. Only through him.

Especially gardening ;)



Like what you've read? Aside from following this blog via Bloglovin (button below), you can follow me on Facebook, as well as subscribe by email (Top left of this page) so you never miss a post!
Follow on Bloglovin


Thanks for stopping by :)

~M




No comments:

Post a Comment