Saturday 29 March 2014

Welcome To The World Elliott Joshua!!

Sorry for taking so long to post, but as I'm sure you can imagine, I have had my hands full. Quite literally. It's pretty tricky business to try to type on a laptop when you have a newborn in your arms!

Elliott Joshua was born exactly a week before his due date on Thursday, March 20th at 10:54 am. He weighed 9 lbs, 2 oz and was 21 inches long. He was born at Lucina Birth Centre in Edmonton with my Midwife Tara (who is Ah-mazing) We were anticipating a water birth, but when it came down to go time I was more comfortable on the bed. C'est la vie!

And folks... he is absolutely perfect.

I am writing up his birth story, but for this update I just wanted to share a few pictures and let you know how his first week of life has been. Speaking of his birth, here's a picture taken mere seconds after he was born. I didn't even know if he was a boy or girl yet!

Pure joy <3


As I write this today, he is 9 days old. It's so surreal to think he's been here more than a week because we can't picture life without him already. He's settled into our lives so seamlessly, it's almost like he's been here all along.

We've learned lots about him so far. He hates having a dirty diaper, but even more so hates having his bum changed, and screams every time. So cold! And yes, we've both been peed on a couple times. Gotta get that face cloth trick down ;) He's a good little eater, and some of my favourite moments are when he's at my breast. I get so many smiles with my nipple in his mouth- it always makes me giggle.  (even at 4 in the morning) He loves being swaddled. I always thought the blankets they make for swaddling were silly- why used a fancy velcro thing when you can just wrap him up yourself? Well, because not all of us are gifting in swaddling (such as myself) I'm so thankful for our SwaddleMe Blanket. He loves being wrapped up tight, and can't wriggle out of it even if he tried. We also learned after the first couple nights that he didn't love his bassinet. He would barely sleep an hour tops in there, and only seemed happy if he was snuggled close to Mama. Both Chris and I are way too freaked out to co-sleep. Those first few nights he spent more time in our bed than anywhere else, but I barely slept a wink because I was so concerned about the blankets covering his face, or his face being pressed to close to my skin, or heaven forbid one of us rolling on him... I "slept" motionless and woke up in so much pain... we knew there had to be a better solution. Thankfully there was- his crib! All along we said we would be happy for him to go straight in his crib if he would- the bassinet was just for our own sanity those first few nights of needing to know he was still breathing at all times. Turns out he sleeps great in his crib- on average 3-4 hours at a time, but one night he even slept 6 straight hours! Wow!! This means I get up with him only once or twice a night. I feel incredibly spoiled. It seems like each day he has longer periods of awake times. I can (and do) just sit there with him and stare as he makes all his faces and adorable sounds. Man he's cute.

Now, without further adieu, some pictures of our little man!


Getting weighed

About 3 hours old
Again, about 3 hours old
3 days old!
Chris, his Mom and Elliott
Just woke up!
First time all wrapped up in the Moby. He loved it!

Well, that's all for now. Stay tuned for his birth story coming soon!




Like what you've read? Consider following me on Bloglovin (button below), or you can follow me on Facebook, as well as subscribe by email (Top left of this page) so you never miss a post!
Follow on Bloglovin





Thanks for stopping by :)

~M






2 comments:

  1. He's absolutely beautiful Melissa, congrats to you guys! :)

    (Christina, Gerald and Grant Van Eaton)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's SO sweet! I love all that hair.
    Can't wait to hear the birth story :)
    Rest up, mama!

    ReplyDelete